Monday 21 May 2012

Inspiration catcher bag

The 'inspiration catcher ' bag was a design that came out of my love for geometrics and also thinking about the American Indian dream catcher - some of which are very geometric in their designs.  I currently have a collection in development for Winter 2013, and have been taking some of my inspiration from self portraits of world famous artists throughout history. 


When I started thinking about this bag design, I wanted a piece that could slot in with my Winter collection and through the merging of these concepts, the 'inspiration catcher' was born!

I have a customer to thank for getting stuck into this design so fast, because it really was down the list in terms of pattern making and development for Winter.  But when Nikki contacted me and asked if I would make a tan coloured bag with perhaps a different design, I sent through sketches of a handful of concepts and she fell in love with it.


This is the design sketch, from which I made my template for the leather cut out by scanning in and tracing over with illustrator and reflecting to get a symmetrical template.

Below you can see my computer printout, my card template which I did by tracing through with awl points and then drawing it in - a process which I found was far too similar to doing a difficult join the dots game!


And that, ladies and gentlemen, is all I have to post for today. The bag is still under construction, so I better go get back to cutting it out!
Will be sure to post the finished bag when its done.  If you too would like to pre-order one, email me at shelley@shelleyd.co.nz


Bye for now

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JacBer, just posted a new blog post with photos of the finished bag.
      Shelley

      Delete