Wednesday 2 May 2012

GEO-BIRDS

Since the last post I was inspired by the little geo-bird pendants so much so that I was thinking non-stop about birds, their feathers, their colour anything about birds really!  They are such beautiful creatures and its often that artists and designers take inspiration from our feathered friends.

So I had been working on a notepad folio or compendium type of product and I wanted to do a finer bird cut-out.  I thought an interesting thing to share would be the way I came up with the cut-out.

So here it is.  The evolution.
 
I started with an illustration of a bird from an illustration book. I liked this bird's pose so I chose this lucky fellow. Then I split up the bird into shapes, refined it, and then created a card template. I then traced it to the leather and used a knife to cut out the shapes. Its pretty long winded and fine work, but I can do this with pretty fast turn over as apposed to getting it all set up and cut by a laser-cutting firm.

And the finished product:




I'm not finished thinking about birds yet, there will be more to come I assure you.

No comments:

Post a Comment